Ciénega (incl. San Ramón satellite)
Long been classified as a gold mine, but silver revenues have risen markedly in recent years reflecting the mine’s rich silver resources
||100% Fresnillo plc
||Underground mine, flotation and leaching plant
||469 employees, 340 contractors
||4,000 tpd / 1,340,000 tpy
|Average ore grade in reserves:
||2.00 Gold g/t, Silver 162 g/t
||820 oz Gold, 66.3 moz Silver
|Ore processed (t)
First full year of production, with 300,000 tpy capacity
% (15.0) Change
% 6.3 Change
% 8.4 Change
% 24.8 Change
% 9.1 Change
% 40.8 Change
% 32.9 Change
% (2.4) Change
Perfomance Highlights - 4Q17
- FY gold production slightly decreased vs. 2016 due to expected lower ore grade as higher ore grade veins at this mine are depleted; however, partially offset by higher volume of ore processed resulting from improved equipment availability following the efficiencies achieved in the maintenance programme.
- Quarterly gold production increased vs. 4Q16 and 3Q17 as a result of increase in volume of ore processed.
- 2018 average gold ore grade expected to remain stable at 1.8 g/t.
- Annual silver production increased vs. 2016 as a result of higher ore grade at Taspana and San Ramón, more than exceededing silver ore grade guidance of 140 g/t. Taspana area is located 3km away from the main Ciénega mine, contribution is expected to continue rising, becoming another satellite mine.
- 2018 average silver ore grade expected around 160 g/t as further development takes place at the Taspana and San Ramón veins; higher volume of ore processed also contributed to an increase in silver production.
- Quarterly silver production decreased slightly vs. 4Q16 and 3Q17 as a result of lower ore grade offset by higher volume of ore processed.
- Annual and quarterly by-product lead production increased vs. corresponding periods of 2016 as a result of higher ore grade and volume of ore processed, offsetting lower recovery rates.
- Full year and quarterly by-product zinc production decreased compared to same periods of 2016 and 3Q17 due to lower recovery rate and lower ore grade.
Perfomance Highlights - FY17
- Began development of the Taspana vein
- Commenced construction of the third tailings dam
Performance Targets - 2018
- Intensify exploration at the Rosario vein and develop access ramp
- Commence basic engineering for the plant expansion to 5,000 tpd at Ciénega