Sustainability: Our Story
Social and Sustainability Performance
Mining is an essential activity that creates value at the local and global level. We believe it can be compatible with high stakeholder expectations vis-à-vis social and environmental performance, and, indeed, that our social licence to operate is dependent upon meeting those expectations. Therefore, responsible business practices must be deeply integrated in the operations, and factors affecting stakeholders taken into consideration at every critical decision-making level. This is reflected in our business model, wherein sustainable business practices ground our value-creation pyramid.
Our commitment to create long-term value is founded on responsible mining practices, to create value for and ensure the wellbeing of stakeholders without compromising future generations, through policies and practices implemented from the earliest stages of exploration until mine closure. We benchmark our success within a framework of maturing sustainability practices and continuous improvement in our safety culture.
Furthermore, compatible mining enhances our competitive advantages: engaging communities from the earliest stages of exploration and development reduces project risk and supports asset values; community support and environmental stewardship can minimise disruptions and ensure operational continuity; and a solid ESG risk profile influences the cost of capital, essential to balance sheet flexibility.
|2016||HSECR management system maturity reached 100%|
|2015||Maturity of HSECR system reached an overall level of 92.3%|
|2014||HSECR system reached maturity level of 84%|
|2013||HSECR system and notably the safety component was implemented at advanced projects|
|2012||Safety Action Plan and second independent review of the HSECR system to verify its progress; definition of KPIs and KRIs|
|2011||First external verification of HSECR system; definition of the Action Plan 2012-2016|
|2010||Registered in the Carbon Disclosure Project for self-reporting on Climate|
|2009||First Communication on Progress for UN Global Compact; Mexican Greenhouse Gas Programme certification for self-reporting emissions|
|2008||HSECR Committee formed and policies defined|
- HSECR management system has reached full maturity
- Health & Safety departments implemented a new IT system to enhance monitoring and accountability
- Operational areas continued to develop their skills in simulated emergency response scenarios, with drills at all mining operations
- The Noche Buena mine obtained its Cyanide Code certification
- Increased community investment, the Company engaged the support of municipal authorities for investments into infrastructure projects to benefit local communities
- Reduced level and intensity of our greenhouse gas emissions